Skip to main content

Child Contact Video Transcript

An important matter to be discussed if your relationship comes to an end is where your children should live.

Normally it will be agreed that the children will stay with one parent and then have regular contact or access with the other. The amount of contact that the parent who doesn't have the children staying with them will have depends on the circumstances, such as the age of the children and the employment of the parent. In some cases shared residence is agreed whereby the children essentially split their time between two homes in other cases the children will stay with one parent during the week and then have contact with the other parent at the weekends, the most important thing to factor is the children's best interests.

Stability and routine are important. If you can agree matters between yourselves, then that can be written into the agreement so that everyone knows where they stand. If you're having difficulty reaching an agreement then there are alternative methods such as collaboration and mediation that can be used. Court is considered a last resort but it provides a decision if the parties can't agree.

If you are separated and want some advice about contact and residence of your children then please get in touch to have a no-obligation chat to discuss your situation and how we may be able to help you. You can use the enquiry form or telephone number on our website.