Skip to main content

Call us FREE

8am - 8pm

Claims Against Uninsured Drivers

It is an unfortunate fact that sometimes the driver responsible for causing a car accident flees the scene – a ‘hit and run’ – or has been driving without insurance. If you are involved in such an accident, you should immediately report it to Police Scotland. 

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) will step into the shoes of an insurance company if the injured person cannot identify the vehicle or driver responsible for the road traffic accident, or if the vehicle which caused the accident is not insured. So, even if the driver at fault left the accident scene or there is no insurance cover in place, you may still be able to get compensation as the injured party. Our specialist Personal Injury Solicitors can help you will all aspects of your MIB claim.

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau involvement

You can make a claim to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) in cases involving uninsured or untraced drivers.

The MIB are a fund of last resort so will only pay compensation if they are convinced that there is definitely no insurance in place. For uninsured driver claims, it is necessary to carry out a full investigation into the insurance position before submitting a claim as otherwise it will not be successful. Those investigations can be complex as usually the driver is not willing to cooperate. 

Thorntons’ team of specialist Personal Injury lawyers will use all the resources to gather together enough information to satisfy the MIB there is no insurance in place in order to allow compensation to be recovered for an injury. 

The MIB have a separate compensation claims procedure for cases where the driver responsible for an injury cannot be traced. Again, they need to be satisfied that the driver definitely cannot be traced before they will agree to pay compensation to an injured person. Thorntons’ specialist road traffic accident lawyers will undertake all investigations required to satisfy the MIB of this, including taking statements from witnesses, recovering CCTV footage where it exists and liaising with the police.

How can Thorntons help?

Our specialist Personal Injury team regularly handle claims with the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) in cases where there is no insurance in place or it was a hit and run. We work on our clients’ behalf to ensure they get the car accident compensation to which they are entitled. Our Personal Injury Solicitors will work for you on no win, no fee basis to carry out all the investigations required to satisfy the MIB and obtain a payment for your injury. You have nothing to lose by making a claim for personal injury as you will not have to pay any legal fees if your claim is unsuccessful.

You can start your claim today by calling us free on 0800 731 8434 or complete our enquiry form. We will talk through your situation, answer any questions you may have and advise you if you can make a road traffic accident claim, even if the other driver is not insured. Our discussion will be confidential and you are under no obligation to make a claim. You can also take a look at our Claims Calculator to find out how much compensation you may be entitled to.