For over 150 years, Thorntons has been doing what’s right for individuals and businesses, through good times and bad. Our success has been built upon values that are still our focus today – a high quality service, the talent of our people and the commitment that we have to long-term partnerships with our clients.
From our heartland in Tayside, the firm has expanded across Angus, Fife, Perthshire and into Edinburgh, and we are now one of the largest full-service legal firms in Scotland.
Thorntons can trace its roots back to 1857 when Sir Thomas Thornton started his own legal business in Dundee. Following a number of significant mergers over the years, the firm expanded. Then in 1985 Thornton Oliver WS was created as a result of the merger of Thornton Dickie & Brand WS and Clark Oliver.
In 1990 Thornton Oliver WS merged with Fergusson Robertson & Co, creating Thorntons WS, at the time the largest law firm outside Edinburgh and Glasgow. In 2005 our company structure changed from Thorntons WS to Thorntons Law LLP.